List of Source Ports and Recreations
- 1 Gallery
- 2 Attempted Source Ports
- 3 Attempted Recreations
- 4 See Also
- 5 External Links
Attempted Source Ports
The source code to Blood was never released; however, source ports have been attempted using released Build engine, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, or the leaked Blood Alpha code, as well as original programming using reverse engineering. Based on original or already free software source code and only reading the original game's assets, these projects are considered more clear legally speaking. They should also be able to run custom content such as Bloody Pulp Fiction or Death Wish.
A project to port Blood using the libGDX framework for Java by Alexander "[M210]" Makarov, the main developer of BloodCM; announced January 9, 2017 and with its first public beta release v0.75 on May 19, 2017. As well as straight up reverse engineering, the implementation is referenced from the leaked full Blood Alpha source code. It is also based on a prototype called gdxTekwar for William Shatner's TekWar released on January 7, 2016.
- Links: M210's Projects Website, M210's YouTube Channel, Transfusion Forums Thread, Steam Thread, Blood Line Thread
The XL Engine, a reversed engineered port of the Jedi Engine used in Star Wars: Dark Forces and Outlaws, is attempting Blood support since first announced on December 22, 2010. Pursuant to this, support for the original Shadow Warrior has also been prototyped.
- Links: Official Website XL Engine Merger and BloodXL Update, Blood Source Port Through DarkXL, Blood getting what it deserves, Star Wars Dark LX. A new hope, Blood XL lives again, Phoronix article
The first ambitious port, started in 2005 and last updated in 2009 by Justin "icecoldduke" Marshall and also known as WinBlood, which attempted to port the game assets to the Build engine port hosted on icculus.org, releasing a few screamshots and four public alphas.
Registered by Jacob Moorman on April 12, 2010 and last updated on April 11, 2013, OpenBlud attempted to create a basis with the original Shadow Warrior source code while also porting to 32-bit Windows systems.
- Link: SourceForge
See Also: List of Mods#Other
Most of these take the form of total conversions for other games, sometimes with attempts to imitate the Blood game logic as well as its aesthetics. Others are better classified as original fangames. As with all fan made projects using copyrighted assets, there are questions as to their legality; Transfusion received a quitclaim license however.
- Transfusion - a project to recreate Blood under the true 3D DarkPlaces engine which is a modified Quake engine. Supports multi-player.
- Blood TC - a total conversion WAD file for Doom II: Hell on Earth with seven levels. Single-player.
- ZBlood - modified and enhanced version of Blood TC which runs on the ZDoom engine as well as its derivatives. Single, cooperative, and multi-player.
- Blood Reborn - an attempted recreation of Blood built using Game Maker 7. Single-player.
- BloodCM - a Blood total conversion for EDuke32. Currently considered to be the most accurate recreation. Single-player only.
A project to replicate Blood atop of Unreal Engine 4 by D!rt, an Irish developer who worked on the 2013 remake of Rise of the Triad and the earlier Blood Source project. The first news post is from January 7, 2015. Now probally being folded into the next listed project.
Blood Fan Remake
A project to recreate Blood atop of the Unity 3D engine first announced on April 23, 2017 by OrdinaryFpsFan789. Currently hoping to complete a full remake of E1M1: Cradle to Grave. A demo was released on May 22, 2017. D!rt, formerly of both Blood Evolution and Blood Source, is now listed as a modeller.
- Links: ModDB, Download, Transfusion Forums, YouTube channel, Reddit thread
Bloodmod To Duke
An early attempt at doing a Blood total conversion for Duke Nukem 3D, announced on August 17, 2005 by TheChosenOne.
Cradle to Grave
C2G was another project to add Blood enemies, objects, and styles to EDuke32 by Daedalus, Dimebog, Daedolon and others from The Postmortem going under the title of Bunch of Butchers. First announced on June 23, 2008, with the last news post from March 23, 2011.
- Links: ModDB, Postmortem thread,3D Realms thread 1, 3D Realms thread 2, Alpha video, Weapons test video, Physics test video
- Links: Website, ModDB, Postmortem thread (related thread), Transfusion Forums thread (related thread), Forum thread, Similar project