Good Old Games
Name: Good Old Games
Slogan: Where classic games live forever.
Key People: Marcin Iwiński and Michał Kiciński
Host: CD Projekt
"The DRM-free web site GoG.com has added another classic game to its library of titles. The latest entry is One Unit Whole Blood, a collection of the 1997 first person shooter Blood with its expansion packs Plasma Pak and Cryptic Passage. The game was originally under development by 3D Realms but then the game was passed onto Monolith Productions in what became their first game. The developer later on went to make acclaimed PC titles like No One Lives Forever and F.E.A.R. If you want some entertaining, funny, gory and even scary fun, the Blood collection might be right up your alley. You can get the game now at GoG.com for just $5.99."
Good Old Games (now officially known as GOG or GOG.com) is a computer game sale and distribution service based from Warsaw, Poland that specializes in the sale of older or retro computer games, although it has since branched out into selling indie and even higher market games. Among many other titles, they also have available for purchase One Unit: Whole Blood and Blood 2: The Blood Group. This made Good Old Games one of the first places where Blood could be acquired unambiguously legally since the original retail releases, although they have since appeared on Steam and can now also be purchased directly from Atari.
The games became available for purchase in 2010 as a result of a deal between Good Old Games and Atari to sell some of their older game titles and franchises through their service. The first Blood title to become available was One Unit: Whole Blood on April 20, 2010. This was followed by the release of Blood II: The Chosen and its The Nightmare Levels expansion on April 29, 2010. The releases gained the attention of many in the Blood community, and even achieved some media coverage from Shacknews and Big Download.
The games are offered for sale as a digital download. One Unit: Whole Blood is provided with the assistance of the Dosbox emulator to help it run on modern Windows systems (though Dosbox itself is multiplatform). It is also provided with the CD audio tracks ripped as Ogg Vorbis files. Blood II: The Chosen and The Nightmare Levels also seem to ship with the unofficial "music patch", which fixes a problem with the music for those running Windows XP or above.
Alongside the Blood games, the original Windows version of fellow Monolith Productions game Shogo: Mobile Armour Division can also be purchased from Good Old Games. Both of the original two F.E.A.R. games plus expansions are also available since February 12 and March 17, 2015, while attempts to add No One Lives Forever have unfortunately proved fruitless. The once Monolith published games Gorky 17, Septerra Core and the Rage of Mages series are also available. Tron 2.0 was added to the catalogue on December 22, 2016. The Surreal Software games The Suffering and The Suffering: Ties That Bind, whose developer was merged into Monolith in 2010, were also added to the catalogue on September 7, 2017.
On May 18, 2015 full Linux support was added to the GOG.com release of One Unit: Whole Blood; macOS support is still forthcoming.
Good Old Games
- One Unit: Whole Blood - Good Old Games
- Blood II: The Chosen and The Nightmare Levels - Good Old Game
- Shogo: Mobile Armour Division - Good Old Games
- Good old Games, gets a little... Bloody! - Transfusion Forums
- GoG Now Has Blood 2!!! - Transfusion Forums
- Blood and Blood II out now on GOG.com for $5.99 - The Postmortem
- Get Blood legally for $5.99- The Postmortem
- Blood II now available on GOG! - The Postmortem
- Blood and Blood 2 now at gog - Seriously! Forums
- GOG.com brings the Blood experience to Linux - Transfusion Forums
- GOG Gets Outcast, Master of Orion 1 & 2; Blood Coming Soon - Shacknews
- Blood Splashes Onto GOG - Shacknews
- Blood 2 Desecrates GOG - Shacknews
- GoG.com adds some Blood to its game line-up - Big Download
- GoG.com adds Blood II to game line-up - Big Download
- GOG Treat Linux To More Old Gems, Blood: One Unit Whole Blood FPS Now Available - GamingOnLinux
- The Big Three Build Engine Games on GOG - GamingOnLinux