CP02: Old Opera House
Episode 5: Cryptic Passage
"Making your way into a nearby village, you enter an old opera house, but the shows being put on here are anything but good family entertainment. Use caution, as the dark shadows of this ancient theatre can hold many horrific secrets."--Cryptic Passage README.TXT
Song Track: 2 - Pestis Cruento (CD-Audio) pestis (MIDI)
|Number of Enemies|
|Pink on the Inside||69|
|Number of Secrets|
"Follow the path and go through the iron gate. To your left, you'll see the Old Opera House. Enter it, and go up the stairs to your right. Walk to the end of the hall, and enter the box seating to your left. Pick up the Moon key, and return to the street. Turn to your left, and follow the street down to the alley. Walk to the end of the alley, and enter the doorway to your left. Go down the stairs, and through the Moon key door. Go all the way forward and turn to your left. Go up the stairs, and turn to your left. Just to the left of the lever is the entrance to the stage. Walk onto the stage, and jump into the hole on the floor (note: you can also get down to this area by going in the room to the right of the lever, up the elevator, across the catwalk, and down another elevator). Grab the Spider key, and go through the Spider key door. To your right is the Dagger key door, and there's a wooden door to your left. Enter the wooden door, and kill the Cultists to collect the Dagger key. Now, go through the Dagger key door. Go forward, and jump into the water. Turn around, and you'll see an underwater passage. Enter it, and drop down to the bottom of the next room. To your right, you'll find the Fire key. Grab it, and return to where you first jumped into the water. Go through the tunnel to your left, turn the corner, and swim until you're blocked by the bars. Dive down, and take the underwater passage to your left. Surface in the next room, and jump out of the water. Go up the spiral staircase, through the Fire key door, and push the symbol to end the level."--Baytor's Guide
- Axe Zombie
- Bloated Butcher
- Bone Eel
- Gill Beast
- Red Spider
- Green Spider
- Mother Spider
' - max number of enemies varies due to Mother Spider's spawning ability
- On the right side of the opera house, there is a door (which requires a key) at the end. Enter this door and enter the wooden door located before the stairs. In the right corner there are two shelves. Push the left shelf. Reward: Doctor´s Bag, Cloak of Invisibility. (NOTE: This secret does not increase the secret's count, possibly due to a bug, so your best bet will be 3/4 secrets at level stats)
- On the upper floor of the opera house, there is a poster of a unicorn between two candles. This poster is an illusion, walk into it. Reward: Life Seed
- In the Dressing Room, open the cabinet, and push the wall behind the clothes. Reward: Box of Shells, Drum of Bullets
- In the room with the Dagger Key, play the piano. The bookshelves behind you will spin around. Reward: Nothing.
See also: References in Blood
- Designer Bill Buchalter has stated that parts of the level are inspired by theatre scenes from Interview with the Vampire (1994).
- The marquee on the opera house reads The Phantasm of the Opera. This is a reference to the book-cum-musical The Phantom of the Opera.
- If you try to use the piano near the entrance of the Opera house, Caleb will utter "Don't play it again, Sam" - a play on the title of the movie Play It Again, Sam (1972), which in of itself is a play on a famous misquote from Casablanca (1942).
- The small café opposite the Opera House offers on the blackboard menu 'Worm Ridden Filth'. This is what Han Solo calls Jabba The Hutt in Return of the Jedi(1983). The price is $6.66, the number of the Beast in the Book of Revelations, as famously referenced in The Omen (1976).
- The stage in the opera house is a reference to the minimal stage design of the play Waiting for Godot by Samuel Beckett.