E1M2: Wrong Side of the Tracks
Episode 1: The Way of All Flesh
Wrong Side of the Tracks (E1M2) is the second level of the first episode in Blood. It was featured in both retail and shareware version. It resembles a trainyard and train station.
Song Track: 8 - Fate of the Damned (CD-Audio), cblood10 (MIDI)
|Number of Enemies|
|Pink on the Inside||45|
|Number of Secrets|
"Go through the hole, and shoot the TNT barrels to your left, blowing a hole in the rail car. Shoot the TNT barrels in the car to blow the other side to the car. Jump up in the car, walking through it, until you come to another rail car. Over on the left side is a narrow space, which will allow you to walk by it. As you come out of that space, you'll see a button in front of you. Push it, and the rail car will rotate, revealing a door on the other side of the rail car. Jump through the middle of the car, and turn to your left to see the newly revealed door. Open the door, walk down the stairs, and follow the stone path to the 'Miskatonic Station'. Enter the station, walk up the stairs, and you find yourself at a Ticket booth. Walk around it, and enter through the 'No Admittance' door. Collect the Moon key, turn around, and walk til you're just under the 'Miskatonic Station' sign, and turn around. You'll see two staircases to your left and right. Follow the left one up, open the Moon key door, and get the Fire key. Then retrace your steps, and go up the right one. Follow the passage until you get to the room with JoJo posters and the Fire key door. Open the gate, and follow the passage to the end, and wait for your train to come in. Hit the symbol on the front of the train to end the level."
Jump through the open hole and shoot the explosive barrels, which will a blow a hole open to allow you to enter a nearby rail car. Shoot the barrels inside the car to allow you passage to the other side. You will find another rail car, with a narrow space on its left side. Walk through that space until you encounter a button. If you press it the rail car will rotate, which should reveal a door on the other side of the rail car. Go through the middle of the car and then turn left to find the revealed door. Open it and walk down the stairs, which should lead you to a stone path that goes to the Miskatonic railway station.
Follow it to the station, and walk around the ticket booth, and enter it through the door. Collect the key found inside and then leave the booth, and go further into the station. On either side of the hallway you should find two stairways, with the hallway leading into a larger room. Take the left staircase and find a key, and then turn around and take the right staircase. Keep going forward, using your key on the door, and open the gate that leads to the railway platform. A train should arrive, with the level exit symbol on its front.
- In the train station, hit the fourth phone from the left, revealing an alcove. Reward: Basic Armor (Note: Ride the phone back up to reach a Box of Flares)
- In the kitchen, blow up the fire extinguisher to reveal a hidden room. Reward: Box of Flares, Case of TNT
- In the kitchen, open the refrigerator, kill the zombies, and press the button with the hand prints on it. This will push back the wall in the hidden room mentioned above. Reward: Cloak of Invisibility
- Up the lefthand staircase (from the waiting hall), there are windows on the left side. Break one and jump onto the awning outside. The reward is near one of the ends. Reward: Life Seed
- At the end of the hallway mentioned above, hit the picture on the wall to reveal a secret. Reward: Guns Akimbo
- In the bookstore, hit the cash register. Two shelves will lower. One of them is directly in front of you, revealing a secret spot. Reward: Doctor's Bag
- In the bookstore, hit the cash register. Two shelves will lower. One of them is off to the right side, which reveals a secret spot. Reward: Body Armor
- On the train platform, there is a door labelled "No Admittance". Go in and find a crack in the wall. Blow it up to reveal a secret passageway into the bookstore. There is a reward behind the doorway in. Reward: Box of Shells, Box of Flares
See also: References in Blood
- Hit the ringing phone to talk to the person trying to call.
- Go deep into the tunnel from the end of level ... be careful with the ghost train!
- All around are posters for Jo-Jo's feature at the circus, a concert by Sacrament of Blood, and a new book.
- Miskatonic Station is an H.P. Lovecraft reference.
- A re-imagined version of this level is available in the fan add-on The Evergrowing Army of the UnDead.
- The Blood Team released Weekly Blood Development Updates on the 3D Realms website, and said this about this level:
- Update: 08/30/96: Craig continued working on his train station/train yard level. He can't get over how much easier MapEdit is than Build. He's also puzzled at how Jay can slaughter him so badly in his own levels.
- Update: 12/16/96: Craig spent the week improving various levels for Episodes One and Two, slightly expanding an area of the train station and adjusting the ship level as a tribute to a true horror classic -- we'll see if any of you can figure it out when the registered version ships.
- Update: 09/13/96: Craig is still finishing off "THE WRONG SIDE OF THE TRACKS", his fantastic train station map. BloodBath is fast and furious and the map is just big enough to make single play exploration scary and fun. There's a really cool room where zombies rip through the walls and come after you full bore. It scares the hell out of everyone who plays it."