E1M6: The Great Temple
Episode 1: The Way of All Flesh
The Great Temple (E1M6) is the sixth level of the first episode in Blood. The level resembles an ancient temple, possibly owned by the Cabal. It has several built-in traps reminiscent of Indiana Jones.
Song Track: 5 - Infuscomus (CD-Audio), cblood5 (MIDI)
|Number of Enemies|
|Pink on the Inside||167|
|Number of Secrets|
|6 + 1 Super Secret|
"Follow the passage along until you get to a pool of water with a bridge over it. Jump into the water. Dive down and turn around. Go through the underwater passage into a larger room. To your left, you'll find another underwater passage, which will take you to some stairs. Climb the stairs, and follow the passage until you find the wooden bridge on the right side of the passage. Cross it, and push the switch on the left side of the niche, and turn back toward the bridge. The bridge will lower slightly (making it accessible to your starting position), and some double doors flanked by gargoyles will open up to your right. Enter the doors, and go to your left. Climb the stairs and follow the passage to the room with the stained glass (both paths into the room lead to the same place). Go up the stairs into a large shooting gallery (you're the target). Work you way to the other side of the room, and go through the gray doors. You'll find yourself in a room with with the Skull key door. Walk to the door, and turn to the left. Follow the path along, and drop down into the area to your right. Open the wooden doors, walk-in, kill everybody, grab your reflective shots, and go back out. When you jump back up, the area in front of you will open up. Enter into the room with the switch. The door behind you will close and zombies will be released. Kill them all, and the next room. Again, the door will close behind you, but grab the Skull key and another door opens, returning you to the room with the Skull key door. Enter the Skull key door, and follow the passage down to a room with three short staircases. Climb up both of the ones to your right, and pull the levers. When both are switched on, the Fire key will rise up in the space across from the third staircase. Grab it, and hit the Fire key switch. Enter into the door which opens, and make your way across the fireballs. At the end of the passage will be a trolley of some sort with a switch. Push the switch, and duck down to avoid the flame-throwers. When you get to the end of the line, quickly get out to avoid being blown up. Climb the stairs, and walk along until you get to another Fire key switch, push it and a niche opens up next to it with another switch inside. Push it, and the wooden doors on the other side of the room will rise up. Go through it, and you'll find yourself in a room with a ramp around it. Go up the ramp, and collect the Spider key. After grabbing the Spider key, a door will open up behind you. Follow the passage (ducking under the flame-throwers), and you find a switch at the end of the hall. Push it, and you'll now be on the upper ledge of the shooting gallery. Follow the path along, go up the stairs, and you'll see the Spider key door on your left. Open it, go up the stairs, and pick up the Moon key in the middle niche on your right. After killing all the zombies, go out through the other door, and you find yourself facing the Moon key door. Open it, and walk into the teleporter. You'll find yourself in a room with Guns Akimbo up on a pillar. Push the pillar, and the wall around the room will rotate revealing a room with zombies, kill them. You'll see a switch on the left side of the room, push it, and get back in the central area before the wall rotates. You'll need to repeat this procedure with the next room. After the third rotation, the symbol to end the level will be revealed."--Baytor's Guide
Caleb starts the level in the temple's basement, a water-logged cement foundation. He moves up, exploring each of the temple's wings for keys leading upwards. He eventually comes to a ritual altar, leading up to the temple's apex above the clouds. There he finally reaches the pillar at an oubliette, and finds access to the Altar of Stone.
- At the beginning, zombies will pursue you and kill themselves to get to you. Go into the hole where the zombies came from and turn around. There is a black wall in front that is actually a hole. Go in and turn left to find the secret. Reward: Dynamite Bundles
- Near where you start is a bridge. Once you raise the bridge, jump to it and go left. Near the switch is a dark wall that is actually a secret panel. Reward: Doctor's Bag
- At the beginning, before you raise the bridge up, jump in the water. Swim forward and go under the stone platform (watch out for the Bone Eels). Swim near the bottom on the left side. There is a hole there. Reward: Cloak of Invisibility
- In the area with the Guns Akimbo on a pillar platform, and a stone face that spits fire at you, there is a small area with stone designs on the walls. On one side of the central section is a reddish design. Press it to reveal a niche. Reward: Box of Shells
- In the area with the Fire Key, there is a circular rotunda inset in a wall. Go inside, go behind the rotational pillar, and look up. There is a button that can be shot. The rotunda will rotate, revealing the secret. You can leave by shooting the button again, or blowing up the cracked wall. Reward: Napalm Launcher, Dynamite Bundles, Box of Flares, Life Seed
- In the oubliette rotunda, before the end of the level, turn on the switch to make the wall rotate. Go in the space in-between the inner and outer walls (where the C-shaped middle wall is moving), and find a teleporter that takes you to a secret. Reward: Death Mask/Invincibility (also Life Seed and Super Armour in BloodBath)
- Super Secret - At the top of the temple, there is an open air veranda that you can see the clouds from (along with some zombies). Go to the middle opening and look down. There is a patch of clouds at a higher elevation than the others. Walk slowly off the edge and land on the clouds (try dropping near the left side if you have trouble). Follow the ledge to a door. The message "I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU FOUND THIS! HERE, YOU CAN HAVE IT ALL." will display. Later, a teleporter will appear. Reward: Everything available in Shareware Blood (Flare Gun, Sawed-Off Shotgun, Tommy Gun, Napalm Launcher, Death Mask/Invincibility, Guns Akimbo, Cloak of Invisibility, Doctor's Bag, Life Seed, Super Armour)
See also: References in Blood
- At the top of the temple, there is an open air veranda that you can see the clouds from, and a long drop to the bottom. Save your game, use the death mask/invincibility to fall down and land safely on the bottom to see a text message. There is no way back up from here, so you must restore your saved game to continue.
- Near the end of the level, a section of the map is made out in the shape of the radioactive symbol prevalent in Duke Nukem 3D.
- The Blood Team released Weekly Blood Development Updates on the 3D Realms website, and said this about this level:
- Update: 08/30/96: Jay reworked The Great Temple, the last level in the shareware. It was already perilous before he got hold of it--now it's, well, more perilous. And it looks better too.