E1M3: Phantom Express
Episode 1: The Way of All Flesh
Song Track: 9 - Double, Double, Toil and Trouble (CD-Audio), None (the .ini file says PESTIS, but is commented out) (MIDI)
|Number of Enemies|
|Pink on the Inside||49|
|Number of Secrets|
|6 + 1 Super Secret|
You should now find yourself on the front of a moving train. Carefully walk on the edge surrounding the engine car until you reach a door. Turn around and walk to the coal car and then jump to the first passenger car. Enter the passenger car, and then keep moving through the second passenger car until you reach the storage car. On the left side of the car you will find a door that leads to the rear dining car. Take the key found in the room and return to the second dining car, and then use the key on the elevator. Ride it up to the upper level, and then look for the next key. Once you have found it, take the elevator back down and return to the engine car. Enter through the door and walk around the boiler. You will find two control switches on the front of the furnace, press both of them and then proceed to the front of the car. Wait there until the boiler explodes, stopping the train and leading to the next level.
 Enemies Present
 Weapons Available
- When entering the train car full of cargo and crates, walk straight ahead and jump on the box. Turn around and there is another crate near the ceiling with the secret. Reward: Life seed
- In the diagonally opposite corner of the previous secret, there is a blue steamer trunk on a pile of boxes. Reward: Beastvision
- In the diner car (the last car), the bar on the left side has a switch which opens a wall panel on the opposite wall. Reward: Reflective shots
- In the kitchen, there is a secret in the upper oven (you need to go into the oven to activate the secret). Reward: Flare gun
- The first room in the passenger car has a crack near the ceiling. Blow it up to reveal the car's attic space with zombies and supplies. Reward: Tommy gun, dynamite bundles, box of flares
- In the train's engine, blow up the grate on the boiler and enter it to gather the supplies. You can also blow up the grate on the other side. Reward: Tommy gun, shotgun, flare gun, life seed (in Multiplayer, there is also a Super Armor and guns akimbo)
- Super Secret - In the passenger car, after blowing up the wall with a dynamite bundle, there will be a hole to the outside. Go to the edge of the hole and hang partially outside, facing the back of the train. Falling off means instant death, so be careful. Jump towards the part of the train that says "Phantom 666", and you should land on a nearly invisible ledge. Push the wall and it will open. Reward: Shotgun, Tommy gun, super armor, life seed, guns akimbo
 Fun Stuff
See also: References in Blood
- Before opening the door to the passenger car, you can hear a cultist call out "Next stop, Green Town." Green Town is the city where "Something Wicked This Way Comes" takes place, which refers to the next level, Dark Carnival.
- There is a glitch on this map where you can get infinite secrets by opening and closing the blue chest that holds beast vision.
- The Blood Team released Weekly Blood Development Updates on the 3D Realms website, and said this about this level:
- Update: 06/14/96: Now that the train level is nearly done, we're all hyper to add some digitized train textures in. This may force the train into the registered version since our artwork alone is already over 20 meg. Maybe we can just >squeeze< it in...
- Update: 10/14/96: The Phantom Express was shortened by one car to make it tighter in BloodBath and single play.
- Update: 12/02/96: Jay finished the work on his mine level, as well as redoing parts of Phantom Express.