Developer: ZBlood Team
Publisher: Doom WAD Station, Filefront, Wad Archive
Designer: J. S. Graham, Joseph Otey
Released: February 1, 2008
Genre: First Person Shooter
Modes: Single-player, Multiplayer
Platforms: Windows, Linux, Macintosh
"I posted [the original Blood TC] at NewDoom forums and it seemed it would generate interest that would help me make more of it. No one who responded about how it was a "great idea!" ever helped out any. I thought it was a dead project. Along comes this unknown guy, 'Doorhenge' who wants to help. He likes my idea and wants to work on it. Of course, I can't say no. He reworked the Blood wad and the Duke Nukem wad I made, then sent them back to me. The kid certainly knows what he's doing, so I turn the project over to him. No, I wasn't really keen about taking it to ZDoom, but he was right. The Doom engine cannot do what the Build engine can, but it CAN come awful dang close with ZDoom. So 'Doorhenge' and I worked fairly close together making new maps, enemies, and weapons for nearly a year. The result is the closest thing to actually playing 'Blood' that I think anyone will ever find."
--J. S. "Psyren" Graham
ZBlood (sometimes spelt Zblood or zblood) is a game that runs on the ZDoom engine as well as its derivatives, which is a modified version of id Software's Doom engine. ZBlood itself is a modified version of the Doom II custom WAD, Blood TC. However ZBlood includes many new levels, weapons, and features, and was worked on for longer.
It has proven popular for mutliplayer matches using Skulltag or Zandronum, and as a horror styled single player arcade shooter. It does however vary in numerous ways to the original Blood and lacks many features, being a less accurate conversion than BloodCM, which has generated controversy in some quarters.
While the game can be ran without Doom II through the use of the Freedoom master WAD, it cannot play the ZBlood levels. The ZDoom engine is released principally under the Doom Source License, while the sounds, graphics, and music used in ZBlood are proprietary and are owned by Monolith Productions, id Software, and others. These are used under the terms of fair use for non-commercial purposes.
- 1 Loading
- 2 Story
- 3 Enemies, Items, and Weapons
- 4 Credits
- 5 Project Forks
- 6 See Also
- 7 External Links
A common mistake is to only load the zBLUDv41.WAD file, when the BludSP1.WAD also needs to be supplied.
Windows Launch Command:
zdoom.exe -file zBLUDv41.WAD BludSP1.WAD
Linux Launch Command:
zdoom -file zBLUDv41.WAD BludSP1.WAD
Macintosh Launch Command:
./zdoom -file zBLUDv41.WAD BludSP1.WAD
"After your victory over the dark god Tchernobog, you finally return to your grave for a little R&D - rest and decomposition. It has been nearly a year since your encounter at the Hall of Epiphany, but you seem troubled. Somehow it was too easy to dispose of the dark lord. It's almost as though he wanted you to beat him. Suddenly you stir. In your mind you can hear your once master laughing, his voice taunting you. You can then take it no longer and decide to awaken once again and confront the Cabal."
- MAP01: Cradle to Grave (Blood level, "E1M1: Cradle to Grave")
- MAP02: Grave to Street (New Custom Map, "MAP02: Graveyard" in Blood TC)
- MAP03: The Sick Ward (Blood level, "E3M4: The Sick Ward")
- MAP04: Welcome to Your Life (Plasma Pak level, "E6M1: Welcome To Your Life")
- MAP05: Mall of the Dead (Blood level, "E4M9: Mall of the Dead")
- MAP06: Un-holy Crap (New Custom Map)
- MAP07: Gothic Library (Cryptic Passage level, "E5M3: Gothic Library")
- MAP08: Camp Crystal Lake (Blood level, "E4M4: Crystal Lake") (Level track is a midi from the Blood Alpha)
- MAP09: Wrong Side of the Tracks (Blood level, "E1M2: Wrong Side of the Tracks")
- MAP10: Phantom Express (Blood level, "E1M3: Phantom Express")
- MAP11: Dark Carnival (Blood level, "E1M4: Dark Carnival")
- MAP12: House of Horrors (Blood level, "E1M8: House of Horrors")
- MAP13: Butchery Loves Company (Blood level, "E4M1: Butchery Loves Company")
- MAP14: The Siege (Blood level, "E3M2: The Siege")
- MAP15: The Overlooked Hotel (Blood levels, "E2M3: Rest for the Wicked" and "E2M4: The Overlooked Hotel")
- MAP16: In The Flesh (Blood level, "E4M7: In The Flesh")
- MAP17: Hallowed Grounds (Blood level, "E1M5: Hallowed Grounds")
- MAP18: The Great Temple (Blood level, "E1M6: The Great Temple" and "E1M7: Altar of Stone")
- MAP19: Bowels of the Earth (Blood level, "E2M7: Bowels of the Earth")
- MAP20: Boggy Creek (Cryptic Passage level, "E5M10: Boggy Creek")
- MAP21: Steamboat Willies (Cryptic Passage level, "E5M5: Steamboat")
- MAP22: Shipwrecked (Blood level, "E2M1: Shipwrecked")
- MAP31: Re-return to the Cathedral (Secret Level, inspired by a similar level from Thief: The Dark Project)
- MAP40: Altar of Stone - DM (Blood level, "E1M7: Altar of Stone")
- MAP41: Bodies - DM (Blood level, "BB3: Bodies")
ZBlood features several Doom style text crawls elaborating on its story.
- Most of the ZBlood levels are not exact remakes of the originals, partly because the ZDoom engine cannot do true room-over-room or dynamic sectors.
- Quite a few sounds from Blood II: The Chosen are also included in ZBlood, including several unused Caleb recordings from the Blood II .REZ file.
- In "MAP11: Dark Carnival" the Duke Nukem secret has been changed to feature the strip club music from the second level of Duke Nukem 3D.
- The slot machines found on "MAP21: Steamboat Willies" dispense useful items when pressed.
- Decoy Tchernobog's are found on "MAP08: Camp Crystal Lake", "MAP12: House of Horrors", "MAP14: The Siege", and "MAP18: The Great Temple". Unlike in the original Blood TC the player never gets to face off against the real thing.
- Cheogh is also encountered at the end of "MAP18: The Great Temple", this time rendered as a red stone gargoyle.
- Upon completing the final level the player is returned to "MAP01: Cradle to Grave".
- In "MAP09: Wrong Side of the Tracks" The Jukebox is replaced with a Radio Player. Pressing it plays a soundclip known as "KMZB All Zombie Radio" after that plays a series of moans and groans. This sound clip was from a scene featured in a Simpsons Halloween Episode.
Enemies, Items, and Weapons
- Ackolyte (Clothed in Green, armed with dynamite only)
- Priest (Clothed in Red, armed with a revolver. They do not transform into the Beast as found in Plasma Pak)
- Cultist (Clothed in Brown, armed with Sawed Off Shotguns)
- Fanatic (Clothed in Grey, armed with Tommy Sub-Machine Guns)
- Axe Zombie (Act like Doom's Pinky demons, close combat only)
- Bloated Butcher (Hurl a ridiculous amount of butcher knives)
- Bat (Act like Doom's Lost Souls, spawned by Phantasms or encountered on their own)
- Gargoyle (Act like Doom's Cacodemons, slow and hurl bones)
- Gill Beasts (Also act like Doom's Cacodemons, though close combat only, encountered underwater)
- Hell Hound (Act like Doom's Arachnotrons, slow and fire flame projectiles)
- Phantasms (Act like Doom's Pain Elementals, slow and summon bats)
- Beast (Act like Doom's Arch-Viles; fast, can set the player on fire from afar, and can resurrect dead enemies)
- Tchernobog (The Dark God, The Dreaming One, The One that Binds. Acts like Doom's Cyberdemon; slow-moving but high health, launches three high-damage projectiles per attack)
Note: All Cultists can and frequently do lob sticks of TNT as an alternate attack.
- Body Armour (Gives you 100 points of Armour)
- Super Armour (Gives you 200 points of Armour)
- Guns Akimbo (When picked up, you carry two weapons at once. Currently, this only works for the flare pistol, sawed-off, tommy gun and napalm launcher)
- Life Seed (Acts as the Soul Sphere from Doom, giving you 100 health, up to 200 total)
- Reflective Shots (Actually acts as the Megasphere from Doom giving you 200 health and armour)
- Medicine Pouch (Actually acts as an Ammo Pack from Doom, increasing your maximum amount of ammo you can carry for most weapons.)
- Cloak of Invisibility (Makes you partially invisible meaning enemies find it harder to target you)
Note: Some Weapons have both a primary and secondary attack just like in Blood.
- 1 - Pitchfork
- 2 - Revolver (Not a Blood weapon)
- Flare Gun (Primary - a single flare which lodges into enemies flesh. Secondary - a burst of flares but is not arranged in a star pattern as in Blood.
- 3 - Sawed-Off Shotgun (Primary - fires one barrel. Secondary - fires both barrels at once)
- 4 - Tommy Gun (Primary - rapid fire of bullets. Secondary - sprays bullets across a room)
- 5 - Napalm Launcher (Primary - Hurls a flaming ball of napalm which explodes on impact and deals after burn damage. Secondary - Releases a ball of flame which explodes on ground.)
- Dynamite or TNT (Primary - Explodes on impact but lacks the ability to charge shots as in Blood to increase throwing distance. Secondary - Let's the whole fuse burn allowing it to be tossed around corners.)
- 6 - Aerosol Can (Primary - Unleashes flame projectiles which act like Doom's Plasma Gun. Secondary - Light one up like a Molotov cocktail to toss into crowds.)
- 7 - Life Leech (Unleashes a series of searing orbs at a high rate)
- 0 - Voodoo Doll (Primary - Caleb stabs the doll in different areas to remove opponent's life force. Secondary - Fires a blue voodoo spirit that acts like a BFG blast.
See Also: List of Bloodites
- Joseph Otey (Doorhenge)
- J. S. Graham (Psyren) - Map01,02,06,07,09,13,14,16,18
- Maxim Genis (DoomJedi) - Face Sprites
- Chaoscorps: Tommy Gun sprites.
- DeusExMachina: Wizard sprites.
- Ajapted and Graf_Zahl: WhackEd2 tutoring.
- Don Tello: Dynamite coding work.
Ever since ZBlood was originally discontinued project fans created several modifications for the game adding, removing, or even modifying it's existing content. Each fork had a different goal, with some aiming to complete the original project while others attempted to fix the game in other ways.
ZBloody Hell is a fork of ZBloodX made by LordOZ_98 and Luigis, aiming to bring the project even closer to the original Blood. It features several fixes that attempt to improve the overall experience. These include updated and reorganized levels, Unlike ZBloodX the game is fully standalone and does not require Doom 2 to work.
Latest version has been updated to include the Maps from v5.1 of ZBlood after it was found.
Bloom is a mod based on ZBlood, designed to all of the enemies weapons and environment elements from Blood to the Doom universe.
ZBlood v4.4 is another project fork created by "Luigis". It's made to recreate Blood as much as possible using Zandronum and GZDoom. The mod allows both Singleplayer and Deathmatch modes added in. Unlike the original ZBlood, This contains 27 main story maps, as well as "E6M8: Beauty and the Beast" being featured as a Secret Map. The project is amid to redesign the levels to make them closer to the originals, also managing to keep all the additions in. Higher Quality Textures and Sound Effects replace the old doom palette and sound renditions from the original. All the Bloodbath maps are going to be converted and added in eventually.
BetterBlood was a modified version of the ZBloodX fork that aimed to fix multiple issues and improves the balance of the game. Due to lack of interest this project was discontinued, but was later continued in its successor ZBloody Hell.
ZBlood + was a fork of the original ZBlood project started by Michaelis because of the inactivity of the original project, joined and left by Callum Sanderson and FuzzyBlaze. The projects goal was stated as to continue where the original left off, by adding better graphics, lighting effects, more levels, better monster code, and other overall changes to make it a more Bloody experience and "really push the Doom engine to it's limits". ZBlood + runs with GZDoom port's SVN version.
The playable demo featuring 9 levels was released on March 24, 2012.
- ZBlood + on ZDoom Forums (demo download)
- Thread about ZBlood + on Postmortem Forums
- Article from Relm667
ZBlood v51 has relatively unknown origins, It was found on several doom wad sharing websites. This version features most of the levels from cryptic passage being added minus Maps CP04 and CP08. Examples such as "E2M3: Rest for the Wicked" and "E2M4: The Overlooked Hotel" Being split apart like the original game. Levels like "E3M1: Ghost Town","E4M5: Fire and Brimstone", "E2M9: Thin Ice" and "E6M3: Public Storage" being added. Details like the Jukebox from "E1M2: Wrong Side of the Tracks" being added once more. Levels like "E6M1: Welcome to your Life" being modified to resemble the original.
Other changes such as the Remote Dynamite acting like the original. More of Caleb's catchpharses being added, As well as Gibs and Powerup changes are present.
ZBlood v4.4 is said to be adding all of the features ZBlood v51 once had.
ZBloodX is a fork of the original ZBlood aiming to bring the project even closer to the original Blood. It is multiplayer focused.
On Jun 15, 2016 author stated in Zandronum forum thread that he didn't do anything Doom for ages, confirming that this mod is discontinued.
- Zandronum Forum thread (Version 1.1, Update 1.3)
- ZDoom Forum thread
- Transfusions Forums thread
- Wad Archive entry
- ZBloodX - The Lair of Shial - YouTube
- zBloodx Preview - More improved and actually closer to Blood - YouTube
- Download ZBlood v41
- ZBlood at the Wad Archive (Weapons Wad)
- ZBlood Video on YouTube
- Review by PekoeBlaze
- ZBlood beta thread - ZDoom Forums
- ZBlood v4 thread - ZDoom Forums
- ZBlood Survival - ZDoom Forums
- ggmanlives - Mod Corner - ZBlood review
- Zblood Pt 1, Pt 2, Pt 3, Pt 4
- zblood for doom
- ZDOOM BLOOD gameplay-map01
- DG DOOM Gameplay - ZBlood
- zBlood (a zDoom TC)
- ZBlood - ZDaemon Multiplayer, Part One, Part Two
- A better zBlood Gargoyle, Part One, Part Two
- Doom 2 - ZBlood map02 done in 0:08!!!
- ZBlood Steamboat Willies Speedrun
- ZBlood + Co-op Test 1, Test 2
- ZDOOM : LSC with ZBLOOD
- ZBLOOD : Caleb, the chagrin of lazor!
- Zblood Stem Boat With Crazy Red Birdies
- zblood:benny hill style
- japanesedoomer map01, map04, map09, map20
- The Zblood Secret (On Zdaemon Server)
- ZBLOOD and RICKROLL
- ZBlood is NOT an alternative to Blood
- ZBlood (My Version)
- RagnaDOOM Bonus : Alice in ZBLOOD
- ZBlood: Caleb vs Terminator
- Guia ZBlood por Ederick parte 1 (Juego dificil :S), parte 2 (la cague xx), parte 3 (Hospital malvado)
- Skulltag-BludSP1+ZBludv41 wad The Mortal Conflict Mission 1
- Special Zblood Phatom Express Range Of Maddness
- ZBlood - MAP01: Gradle to Grave
- zBlood - Cradle to Grave
- ZBlood -Cradle to Grave-
- ZDOOM BLOOD gameplay-map01
- Zblood - Overlook Hotel
- ZBlood Gameplay - Welcome to Your Life
- ZBlood Gameplay - Dark Carnival
- ZBlood Gameplay - Shipwrecked
- ZBlood Gameplay - Bowls of the Earth
- zblood remake Level 1
- zblood remake Level 2
- Zblood Level 1
- ZBloodBath - Bodies botplay
- ZBloodBath - Beta video #1
- ZBloodBath - Frozen Ground
- Gggmanlives Review of ZBlood