E1M5: Hallowed Grounds
Episode 1: The Way of All Flesh
Song Track: None (CD-Audio), None (MIDI)
|Number of Enemies|
|Pink on the Inside||84|
|Number of Secrets|
|9 + 1 Super Secret|
"Walk across the open aired area into the next building. Over to your left, is the entrance into a big hallway with lots of pillars. Enter it, and turn to your right. Walk all the way down until you get to the wide wooden door on your left. Open it, and keep walking, past the Moon and Skull key doors, until you finally get to the Skull key. Don't go back to the Skull key door yet. Instead, take the door to your right into a large room. Up on the right ledge, you'll see a doorway, follow it along to a small pool of water on your right. Jump in, swim to the end, and push the switch. Swim back, and a staircase will be opened to your right. Climb up stairs, listen to the message, and open the curtains on the left fork. Jump down, and walk through the doors to your left. This will take you to the Skull key door. Open it, and follow the stairs up until you come to a room with several doorways. Take the one to your immediate left, and drop down the hole in the floor. At the end of the passage, you'll see a differently coloured wall, push it, and enter into the next room (you could take the long way around through the courtyard, but this is the quickest way). Keep walking forward and take the Moon key over the left side of the room. When you pick up the key, the gate in front of you will open up taking you back to the big hallway from the beginning of the level. Follow it back around to the Moon key door. Open the door, and follow the stairs down. At the bottom of the stairs, take note of the Spider key doors in the room on your right, but take the passage over to your left, until you come to a lift. Take the lift up to the wine storage area, and pick up the Spider key. Return via the lift to the Spider key doors, and open the left one. Follow the passage, turn to your left, cross the bridge, and push the symbol to end the level."
- Inside the entrance, past the gargoyle, is a large hallway with pillars. As you enter, there are two wall designs on your left. Blow up the left to reveal a hidden space. (Note, this area can only be reached by using Jump Boots. There are some elsewhere in the level, if you have none in your inventory.) Reward: Doctor's Bag
- In a passageway with high platforms on each side, there is a tapestry with an eye above the door. Shoot the eye(with shotgun). A niche will open behind the door on the right wall. Reward: Guns Akimbo
- In the hallway mentioned above (the one with the eye tapestry), look up for a gargoyle statue. Use the jump boots to ascend to the right (or left) platform, and grab the secret behind the gargoyle (which will come to life). Reward: Death Mask/Invincibility
- In the hallway with the eye tapestry, to the right platform there is a way leading to an outside area with a ledge. Follow the ledge to a platform with a gargoyle and a secret. Reward: Box of Flares, Box of Shells
- A left turn at the Moon Key door will take you to an elevator. Step on it and there is an alcove at the right of the elevator. Reward: Body Armour
- In the main hall (with the fire at the centre, and cultists in the wings), there is a skull mark on the floor. Step towards the key and the wall behind you will open, unleashing zombies. Kill them and take the Jump Boots. Go into this secret panel and use the boots to jump straight up to find the area above. Reward: Reflective Shots
- In the underwater area with a switch, hit the switch, but wait. A small tunnel will open up to the right of the switch. Reward: Life Seed
- In the room with the Moon Key, there are two pictures on the wall. Push the right one. The centre columns will raise, revealing the secret and two gargoyles. Reward: Super Armour
- There are rising stairs to the courtyard outside. Open the door. There is a different wall section with square tiling. Push it to reveal the secret. Reward: Cloak of Invisibility
- Super Secret - Walk up to the bridge near the end of the level, turn left, and look down. If you don't see anything, look again from where the end gate/Tchernobog symbol is. Halfway down is a ledge. If you try and jump to it, you will take a large amount of damage. Instead, stand on the middle of the bridge and face the cliff wall near where the ledge ends. Jump against the wall and press the 'open' button. A wall panel should open up and you can slip inside (this may take several tries, so save your game). The teleporter will take you back to the bridge, so don't try to jump back. Reward: Everything from the First Episode
See also: References in Blood
- Throughout the level the chant of "Pestis cruento vilomaxus, pretiacruento" is repeated in the Cultist Language. This translates to "Blessed order, blood heaven".
- Flipping the skull - switches on either side of the strange altar in the Super Secret are stops the incessant chanting that plays throughout the level, indicating that the strange flesh altar is somehow the source of it.
<< Secret Level: E1M8: House of Horrors